A proxy server acts as an intermediary between your browser and the website you are visiting. The proxy conceals your IP address and, by doing so, protects your business computer’s location and online identity.
Proxies are, therefore, essential tools if you wish to browse anonymously. In this article you will reach full understanding of chrome proxy settings and more!
Why you should use proxies
The primary reason for using a proxy is to hide your browser’s identity online.
Different people, however, have different reasons for wanting to access websites anonymously.
It is quite easy for someone to use your IP address to hack your computer when you browse on a public Wi-Fi connection. By concealing your real IP address, proxies offer improved security to your computer system.
The anonymity also makes it impossible for websites to track you with cookies and target you in their campaigns and promotions.
Accessing restricted websites
Some websites have settings that may block your browser from accessing their content. This is usually due to your geo-location, or suspicious activity from your IP address. Proxies display a different IP from your real one making it impossible for the website to identify your browser as one that has been restricted from accessing the site.
If you cannot access a website due to your location, for instance, you can pick a proxy whose IP reflects a location that isn’t restricted.
As a business owner, such unlimited access to websites worldwide helps you access more resources and interact with markets, customers, and competitors worldwide.
Bypassing company restrictions
Many companies today have set up their internet connections so that their employees can only access selected sites. The setups are ideally intended to help the employees achieve better productivity.
Sometimes, however, there may need to access some sites outside the selected list. In such instances, you can use proxies to allow some computers access to the restricted sites
How to configure Google Chrome proxy settings
For you to get the services of the proxy server you have contracted on, you will need to configure the Chrome settings accordingly.
I. For Windows 7 or 8.1
- Open Google Chrome and click on the customize Chrome button signified by three dots on the top right of the window
- Scroll down the list and click on the settings option and on doing so a list will appear
- At the bottom of that will be a button labelled Advance. Click on it. Following this action, the initial list will extend to reveal more options.
- The new extended list will have a section labeled System near the bottom. Go to this section and click open proxy settings and an Internet Options window will pop.
- A button for connections will be among the tabs at the top of the new Internet Options window. Click on that button and scroll down to the LAN Settings button at the bottom.
- This will open the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window that will require you to submit the IP address and port number of the proxy you wish to use.
Your Chrome proxy is now configured and will be applied to the Chrome internet connection. It will also be applied to other applications that use proxy details from the browser.
This means that traffic for applications such as gaming systems will also be redirected as per the proxy settings.
II. For Windows 10
Windows 10 was created with an app that allows you to configure the proxy settings from its settings app without the need for third-party software.
- You can access the Windows 10 settings app by pressing Windows + I on your keyboard
- A window will appear. Click on the Network & Internet button and then choose proxy among the options that appear
- At this point, you will have two options: Automatic proxy setupor manual proxy setup
- The automatic proxy setup is much easier to set up and efficient to use.
- If you wish to choose the automatic option, enable the automatic detection of proxy settings followed by the “Use setup script”.
- Enter the URL of your proxy server in the provided field and save
Your proxy server has been set up successfully.
III. Setting up chrome proxy settings for Mac
- On your browser, click on the Chrome options depicted by three dots. Scroll down and choose Advanced
- You will now have new options among them a section labeled System. Click on it, thus opening the Network Settings window.
- Click on the Select a protocol to configure and choose proxies. You will be offered several protocols to choose from. Select the ones that are appropriate for your proxy of choice.
- Click OK and then Apply to finish the process
Configuring the Chrome proxy settings is not a complicated process. After you have set it up, you can check whether you have completed the process successfully through Google. Open the browser and search ‘what is my IP?’ if the process was successful, the IP of the server you want to connect to will appear.
You can then proceed to enjoy the digital anonymity offered by the proxy server.