Tips For free up disk space windows 10
Free up disk space windows 10, for that use this conduct to delete inefficient files and folders from your windows 10. Before we start, I must tell again you that you are totally responsible for your own PC and all your personal data. Here we are Describe Tips For free up disk space windows 10.
While storage devices keep getting larger, and price per gigabyte keeps coming down, we also keep fulfilling up drives with more pictures and videos we take with our mobile devices in adding to the many files we download from the internet.
This problem is even superior when you have a computer with limited storage or solid-state drive, which still doesn’t offer a lot capacity compare to traditional rotating platters hard drives.
DELETE UNNECESSARY FILES
In Windows 10, we can use the Store settings to get a general idea on how space is being utilized on the major system drive and external hard drives.
But more prominently, now you can see which folders are using the most space, which can help you to recognize and make a decision on the files you can delete to free up some storage.
Here’s how to find and delete temporary files:
Utilize the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.
- Click on System.
- Click on Storage.
- Under Storage select the drive you want to analyze.
- Resting on storage usage, you can see that Windows 10 categorizes the satisfied based on default folders, apps and games, and system files, and you can view the storage usage. Simply click on of the item’s name to get more information.
- If you want to delete its content, click the view button to open the folder location, and delete the files you don’t need.
- Go back to Storage usage and click on Temporary files. In this segment, Windows 10 will list unusual kind of temporary files you may want to delete, together with Temporary files, Downloads folder, Recycle bin, and more. Click on the button of the content you want to remove and follow the instructions to delete the files.
- Go back to Storage usage and now click other. Windows 10 uses this section to list all the folder that couldn’t be categorized. Recognize which folders are using the most storage space and click on them to entrance the location.
- Select its content, right-click, and select Delete to remove the files and folders.
DELETE FILE HISTORY VERSIONS
Here’s how to modify the File History version setting and how to use the cleanup tool to delete older version of files and folders:
- Apply the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Control Panel.
- Click File History.
- On the left pane, click Advanced settings.
- Under Versions, change the default options by clicking the drop down menu on the right for save copies of files and Keep saved versions to the best options that suit your needs. For example, every 12 hours and 3 months respectively.
- Click the Clean up versions link.
- In the File History Cleanup tool, select the file versions you want delete from the drop down menu. For example, select the All but the latest one option, if you wish to get the most space by only keeping one version of the files.
- Click the Clean up button to complete the process.
- Click the Save changes button on Advanced settings to commit the new changes.
UNINSTALL APPS YOU DON’T NEED
Here’s how to uninstall desktop and Store apps:
- Use the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.
- Click System.
- Click Apps & features.
- Identify the applications you don’t need and are using the most space on your computer. Select an app and click the Uninstall button.
- Confirm by clicking the second Uninstall button.
- If the you’re trying to uninstall a Windows 10 Store app, no further action is required. If it’s a legacy desktop application, you will need to follow the on-screen directions to complete the uninstall.
- Repeat the steps to remove any other application.
DELETE DUPLICATE PHOTOS
Duplicates photos can waste expensive space on your PC’s hard drive, external storage, and even on OneDrive — now that users no longer can enjoy unlimited storage.
If you often take various pictures of the similar thing, you can use third-party tools, such as Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder, to find and delete duplicate images.
- Visit the Duplicate Photo Finder download page, and click the Download portable version link to download the application on your computer.
- Right-click the zip folder and select Extract all.
- Click the Extract button.
- The tool is portable, which means no installation is required. Simply double-click the AwesomePhotoFinder.exe file you extracted to launch the tool.
- On the Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder main screen, click the plus “+” sign button to add a folder location you want to scan for duplicate images.
- Click the Start Search button to begin the scan.
- After the scan completes, you’ll be presented with all the duplicate pictures and similarity score. Click the Delete button on the images you don’t want to keep.
- Click Yes to confirm deletion to the Recycle bin.
- Repeat the same process until there no more photos listed in the application.
Now the folder you scanned should only contain one version of a particular photo. If you change your mind, you can restore the images from the Recycle bin.
DELETE PREVIOUS INSTALLATIONS OF WINDOWS
When you upgrade to Windows 10 without formatting, or you install a new test build of the operating system, a copy of the previous installation will be stored on your computer inside the Windows.old folder.
The backup copy of your PC’s previous installation is a mechanism the operating system uses to roll back in case something goes wrong during the upgrade. However, after the upgrade completes successfully and if you’re not planning to go back to the previous version of Windows, these temporary files will just be wasting valuable space on your computer.
Luckily, the operating system ships with its Cleanup tool to delete system temporary files. Use this guide to remove a previous installation of Windows, which can help you to reclaim over 15GB of storage space
What are temporary files windows 10
Temporary Files in Windows 10 are those junk files whose use is only temporary and become redundant once the task in hand is completed. Such temporary file are created to hold data temporarily while a file is being created or processed or used.
Where is disk cleanup in windows 10
To Disk Cleanup in windows 10:
- Search for Disk cleanup from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.
- Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
- Select OK.
- If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:
- In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
- Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
- Select OK.