The Last of Us Remastered PS4 Pro Update 1.08: There’s Good News and Bad News
Ps4 pro titles were experiencing performance issues that resulted in some games running at a lower performance level than standard ps4 hardware during pressure points.
The good news is that almost all the titles we decorated. At the end of last week, Naught Dog released an update for the Last of Us Remastered that similarly sets out to address our concerns. There’s some work in this update.
GOOD NEWS OF PS4
PS4 Pro now has a completely locked 1080p60 mode
- On the plus side, there is a new mode entirely specific to 1080p displays to replace loss of super-sampling. Run the game attached to a full HD screen and you get the fastest, smoothest version of the Last of Us ever released, along with the higher decision shadow-maps that were formerly locked to the 30fps mode.
- The issue is this through behaviour mind that 4k performance issues are improved, why was super sampling removed as an option for 1080p users? This mode is great.
PS4 Pro’s 4k 60fps mode is fixed
- Our biggest issue with version 1.07 of the Last of Us Remastered was that the 60fps modes for 4k display owners run at a lower frame- rate than base PS4 hardware in certain scenes-an reasonable trade perhaps because the game looks so good, but not so much of a win if you have a 1080p display.
- The Last of Us Remastered now runs just as well as the original PS4 version. In fact, it’s actually a touch smoother, which makes the next point extremely puzzling.
BAD NEWS OF PS4
1080p users lose super sampling on both 60fps and modes and we don’t understand why
- This just doesn’t make sense. Despite handling In exactly the kind of optimisation required for a mostly silky smooth experience, Naughty Dog has entirely cut off access to the Last of Us Remastered’s higher declaration mode when the Pro is attached to a full HD screen, meaning that the improved super sampling anti aliasing is now completely gone.
- Adding to the disappointment is that this applies also to the 30fps mode, which never had any performance issues at all.
- It’s impenetrable and we’re not entirely sure why Naughty Dog has done this, simply rolling out the 4k optimisation would have kept everyone happy, regardless of the screen their Pro was attached to.
On balance, the Last of Us Remastered patch 108 offers an improved experience and adds a new gameplay mode that we find highly valuable, but many players with 1080p displays are now at a net loss after this update and are rightfully unhappy.